City of Lockport Reconnaissance Level Historic Resources Survey

We Love Working in Lockport

References

  • Contact: Kevin McDonough, Housing Coordinator, Department of Community Development, City of Lockport, One Locks Plaza, Lockport, NY 14094, 716-439-6687 and Robert J. Hagen, Chair, Historic Preservation Commission, City of Lockport, 716-433-7338
  • NYSHPO Contact: Robert Englert, Survey and Evaluation Unit, 518-237-8643, ext 3268

Project Scope

  • Reconnaissance Level Historic Resource Survey (615)

Related Projects in Lockport

  • Historic District
  • Heritage Lockport Website
  • Reconnaissance Level Historic Resource Survey (615)
  • Reconnaissance Level Historic Resource Survey (615)

Key Personnel

  • Clinton E. Brown, FAIA, President
  • Jill Nowicki, Historic Preservation Specialist
  • Jennifer Walkowski, MAH, Architectural Historian (former)

 

cbca-lockport-historic-surveyCBCA has completed a historic resources survey of an area within the City of Lockport, working closely with the Historic Preservation Commission and local officials. The home of the famous “Flight of Five” series of locks on the Erie Canal, Lockport developed rapidly in the early nineteenth-century due to the canal construction and trade.

In Lockport, CBCA reviewed over 600 properties within the core of the City, which has yielded numerous excellent examples of residential, commercial, ecclesiastical and industrial architecture. Buildings of note in the survey area include the former Harrison Radiator Corporation buildings, an excellent example of reinforced concrete frame industrial architecture, and several stone buildings including the former Church of the Redeemer built ca. 1843. The survey also identified a brick African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church built in 1876, only a decade after the end of the Civil War, to serve the area’s growing African American community.

As a result of the survey work, CBCA recommended that the City of Lockport and the Historic Preservation Commission pursue the nomination of the potential High Street-Locust Street Historic District to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. This primarily residential district is comprised of excellent examples of Queen Anne, Italianate and Colonial Revival architecture and was once home to several mayors and other business leaders in Lockport.