Expanding the East End Historic District in Newburgh
- Contact: Elizabeth McKean, Records Management Officer, City of Newburgh, City Hall, First Floor, 83 Broadway, Newburgh, NY 12550, 845-569-7347 and Lynn K. Eberle, City of Newburgh Historic Preservation Officer (former)
- NYSHPO Contact: William Krattinger, National Register Unit, 518-237-8643, ext 3265
- Windshield Level Historic Resource Survey (2,020)
- Clinton E. Brown, FAIA, President
- Jennifer Walkowski, MAH, Architectural Historian (former)
- Alma O’Connell Brown, Project Manager
CBCA has worked with the City of Newburgh in New York’s scenic Hudson Valley to complete a cultural resources survey. CBCA surveyed over 2,000 properties in the city, examining previously undocumented areas outside of the East End Historic District, one of the largest historic districts in New York State.
Newburgh’s West End area is a mixed-use residential, commercial and industrial section located at the western portion of the City of Newburgh in Orange County. Newburgh was incorporated as a village in 1800 and as a city in 1865, although the area was settled as early as 1709 by German Lutherans from the Rhenish Palatinate. The City of Newburgh owes much of its early growth and prosperity to its location along the Hudson River between New York City and to its south and Albany to its north. While the previously-National Register listed East End Historic District encompasses a majority of the area that was initially settled during the early nineteenth century, the West End area developed primarily in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, as an area of secondary growth and expansion.
The survey revealed several excellent examples of late-nineteenth century residential architecture including a group of large mansions along Carpenter Street. Also “discovered” during the survey were excellent examples of early industrial architecture, including several factories and plants which once formed the backbone of the city’s textile industry. The report resulted in the recommendation for several sites to be nominated to the State and National Register of Historic Places, and the results of the historic resource survey will lead to further study and examination by Newburgh.