Pioneering Multiple Property Documentation Form of Historic and Up-and-Coming Larkin Neighborhood
- Project Contact: Frank Cannata, former Executive Director, (716) 880-6077
- Project Scope was Design, Grant Writing, and Implementation
- New York State Council on the Arts
- New York State Parks Environmental Protection Fund
- Margaret L. Wendt Foundation
- New York Main Street Program
- Clinton E. Brown, FAIA, President
- Jill Nowicki, Historic Preservation Specialist
- Alma O’Connell Brown, Project Manager
The Riviera Theatre was built in 1926 by the Yellen family and was designed by Leon H. Lempart and Son Architects. That same year, the Theatre’s Mighty Wurlitzer Organ was installed. The Riviera Theatre was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
CBCA has provided Grant Writing & Administration services for the multi-funded project at Riviera, raising over $1 million from NYSCA, NYS Parks EPF, M.L. Wendt Foundation, Empire State Development, NY Main Street program through Lumber City Development and legislative member items from Senator George Maziarz and Assemblymember Robin Schimminger.
Phase 1 of the Restoration and Expansion Project included roof replacement and masonry repairs to the theatre. This project was funded in part by an EPF grant from NYS Parks and grants from the Margaret L. Wendt Foundation and NY Main Street program through Lumber City Community Development.
All work was conducted in compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.