Buffalo’s Theatre District is a Local Historic District certified by the National Park Service
- Contact: Nogel Hebborn, Chief Financial Officer, Acquest Development, 80 Curtwright Drive, Williamsville, NY 14221, 716-204-3570
- NYSHPO Contact: Daniel McEneny, National Register Unit, 518-237-8643, ext 3257 and Sloane D. Bullough, NYS Rehabilitation Tax Credit Specialist, 518-237-8643, ext 3253
Scope of Project
- Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application
- Clinton E. Brown, FAIA, President
- Jennifer Walkowski, MAH, Architectural Historian (former)
- Alma O’Connell Brown, Project Manager
The building currently known as Theater Place, located in Buffalo’s Theater Historic Preservation District on Main Street, was created in 1980/81 by the firm of Hamilton Houston Lownie as one of the city’s earliest adaptive reuse projects by opening up the interiors of two older commercial buildings. Theater Place was developed as a mixed use project that included restaurants, night clubs, commercial offices and loft housing units. Initially, the building opened up to Shea’s Buffalo Theater (NR listed), giving the building its name. For many years, Theater Place housed Shea’s box office, however this office has since vacated the building.
Theater Place was created from two adjacent buildings: 622-634 Main Street and 636-644 Main Street. 622-634 Main Street was constructed in 1902 and designed by Green and Wicks for the estate of Delia L. Root. 636-644 Main Street was designed by the prominent Buffalo architect Edward A. Kent in 1896 for client John Otto, a prominent local real estate dealer at the time.
CBCA prepared the Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application for the Theater Place complex. For the project, Clinton Brown Company researched the history of the building and Main Street, detailing the architectural significance of the buildings and also documenting its many commercial occupants. The building is now undergoing conversion into new office spaces.