Clinton Brown Company Architecture is an experienced firm in New York State providing services for the preparation of Historic Preservation Tax Credit applications for residential and commercial properties. We have over 26 years of expertise working with building owners, the State Historic Preservation Office and National Park Service for an efficient process
What are Historic Preservation Tax Credits?
The New York State and federal governments each allow property owners an income tax credit of 20% of the qualified rehabilitation expenditures – a total of 40% – for the certified rehabilitation of a certified historic, depreciable building. Historic tax credits can fill the financial gap between the rehabilitation cost and the market income in the feasibility of a commercial building rehabilitation project, adding equity to the project to make the rehabilitation profitable to the owner and the community. The historic preservation tax credit application defines the historic property, its proposed rehabilitation, and its completion.
WALL STREET THEATER – NORWALK, CT
CBCA is working with the Wall Street Theater Company to prepare the Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application for the former Regent Theater, a ca. 1915 Mediterranean-styled building. This building is significant as an intact example of Vaudeville and early movie house theater design. Through rehabilitation, the Wall Street Theater will find continued use as a performing arts center, with expected completion in 2015.
THEATER PLACE – BUFFALO, NY
CBCA prepared the Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application for the Theater Place complex, located in Buffalo’s Theatre Historic District. The turn-of-the-twentieth century buildings were transformed in the early 1980s as a shopping and restaurant destination. The building is now undergoing conversion into new office spaces.
COX BUILDING – ROCHESTER, NY
Located in the core of Rochester’s historic retailing and commercial center, the Cox Building, built for shoe manufacturer and retailer Peter Cox, once housed numerous commercial tenants. Acting as Project Architect, Clinton Brown Company is preparing the Historic Preservation Tax Credit Application for the building’s transformation into a mixed-use commercial and residential hub.
SPENCER S. KINGSLEY HOUSE – BUFFALO, NY
Designed by noted architects Marling & Burdette ca. 1890 for one of the city’s real estate tycoons, CBCA is preparing the Historic Preservation Tax Credit application for the building, and is acting as Project Architect on the extensive rehabilitation of the former boarding house into luxurious new apartments.
THE AIKEN-SILVERNAIL HOUSE – ELLICOTTVILLE, NY
Owners Melanie and Clay Silvernail purchased the ca. 1837 Greek Revival style house, originally the residence of Rev. John J. Aiken, with the goal of carefully restoring the building back to its former luster. CBCA has prepared a State and National Register of Historic Places nomination for the house, as well as preparing the tax credit application.
THE HUYLER BUILDING – BUFFALO, NY
Originally designed in 1925 by architect Harvey S. Horton to house the offices and retail shop for the nationally prominent Huyler Candy Company on Buffalo’s fashionable commercial corridor of Delaware Avenue, the building later became well known as the home of the Pitt Petri store. CBCA has prepared a State and National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Huyler Building, and has also worked with owner, Plaza Group, on a historic preservation tax credit application for the restoration and reuse of the building.
BUFFALO METER COMPANY BUILDING – BUFFALO, NY
An excellent example of an early reinforced concrete “daylight” factory, the building was once home of the Buffalo Meter Company, manufacturer of water meters. Later used by the University at Buffalo’s school of Architecture and known as Bethune Hall, the building was one of the industrial structures studied by internationally prominent historian Reyner Banham. CBCA prepared the historic preservation tax credit application for the reuse of the building as well as the accompanying State and National Register nomination.
THE RETTIG BUILDING – CORNING, NY
Built ca. 1875 for Valentine Rettig, the Rettig Building is an excellent example of a polychrome commercial Italianate building in Corning’s Market Street Historic District. Clinton Brown Company worked with owner, Peter Krog, on preparing the tax credit application for the rehabilitation of the building, adding residential apartments on the upper floor.
THE MELDRUM-EDWARDS BUILDING – BUFFALO, NY
Constructed ca. 1909, the Meldrum-Edwards Building was once used as a warehouse for the H.A. Meldrum department store and later the E.W. Edwards department store, both located nearby on Main Street. CBCA prepared the tax credit applications for this seven-story reinforced concrete building, which is currently being redeveloped to house commercial space and residential apartments.
THE BUILDINGS OF THE GENESEE GATEWAY HISTORIC DISTRICT REHABILITATION – BUFFALO, NY
This group of commercial buildings spanning from the 1850s until the 1940s became known as the “Genesee Gateway,” and once stood as a symbol of Buffalo’s economic downturn of the late 1970s and early ‘80s. CBCA worked with Genesee Gateway LLC and the Margaret L. Wendt foundation on creating the Genesee Gateway local historic district, which was certified for tax purposes by the National Park Service. CBCA also prepared the historic preservation tax credit applications for each of 8 buildings in this multi-million dollar rehabilitation project.
THE ANSORGE BLOCK – CORNING, NY
Built ca. 1898, this elegant yellow-glazed brick commercial building on Corning’s Market Street features elegant cast iron hoods and once served as the “Canisteo Hall.” Work with the Krog Corp., CBCA has prepared the historic preservation tax credit application for the reuse of the building with commercial on the ground floor and residential apartments on upper stories.
THE DRAKE BUILDING – CORNING, NY
One of Market Street’s most recognizable buildings, the Renaissance Revival style Drake Building was constructed in 1894 as a commercial building for owner James A Drake. It later became the long-time home of the First National bank, a function it still fulfills today. Working with owner George Welch, Clinton Brown Company Architecture prepared the tax credit application for the building, and is also serving as architect on the rehabilitation project.